She was an american girl, raised on promises

She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life

Somewhere else

After all, it was a great big world

With lots of places to run to

~Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers~

Monday, July 26, 2010

Pedi = Relaxation

There's something so relaxing about getting a pedicure. Sometimes, there's nothing better after a long day than soaking one's feet in warm, bubbly water while reclining in a massage chair. Feeling the vibration along one's spine and the inevitable lotion massage combine to melt away the stress of a day spent feeling underappreciated and unwanted.

Today, after months of avoiding pedicures because I was battling the fungus from Hates (quite literally) that I managed to pick up at the place that must now be avoided at all costs. After seeking out references from friends, I tossed all of my work down the drain with one impulsive Google search. That's right, I chose a nail shop based solely on the facts that it was fairly close to my house and that the woman who answered the phone told me that they were closing in 10 minutes, but would stay open if I was coming right away.

I jumped in my car and almost ran out the door.

When I got to the salon, I wasn't overly shocked by the decor. Like a hundred other nail salons I've entered in my lifetime, this salon was sparsely decorated in posters featuring photos of perfectly manicured nails. What surprised me, though, were the homey floral and country scenes hanging between the nail posters. There were overstuffed couches, eagerly awaiting those who had to wait for an opening. I, however, did not fall into that category. The nice Asian lady promptly ushered me to a waiting spa chair and bade me sit.

Since there was only one manicurist and  two customers (which soon turned to three), I had plenty of time to just sit and relax. I had no reason to hurry home, as The Boy was sound asleep and snoring when I left, so I just let myself sink a little further into the vibrating chair and dug my toes a little deeper into the bubbling water.

For those of you locals who are wondering where I went, I made the long trek to the other side of the 99 to the Von's shopping centre on the corner of Olive Dr. and Victor St. The place is called Top Nails III and it's tucked into the corner next to Rusty's Pizza. The prices were fantastic, as well.

I've had a string of bad luck with similar nail salons. First, there was the salon just down the street from my house where I experienced something akin to torture which left my toes throbbing for days (I am not exaggerating). The spa chair in that particular establishment also seemed to be intent on forcing me into the water meant for my feet. Needless to say, I will never return to that spot. Then, there was the aforementioned "fungus" spot. Excuse me while I shudder a bit in rememberance.

Top Nails III was simple in decor, but definitely clean. In fact, it was probably one of the cleaner establishments of the sort that I've had the pleasure of using.

Overall, my experience was an almost perfect balm to one of the more hectic Mondays of the past several weeks. I'm fairly certain that the only missing piece was a big, icy, salt-rimmed margarita. Of course, nothing says that there won't be time for one a little later in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment