She was an american girl, raised on promises

She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life

Somewhere else

After all, it was a great big world

With lots of places to run to

~Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers~

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The S Word

So the other day, I'm spending the evening at my parents' house. After being utterly disappointed by the fact that there was no more leftover SOR (Slop On Rice...a delicious concoction of ground beef, sour cream, cheese, and cream of mushroom soup served over steamed rice), I decided I was going to get Chinese food at the cheap little place around the corner from my parents' apartment.

Since Melanie was staying over at a friend's house, I decided I'd take Chloe with me as a little special treat because she always wants to go everywhere with me anyway.

The Chinese place is right next to Food Maxx and, as we're pulling out of the parking space, Chloe looks at the EXIT sign above the doorway to Food Maxx and says, "I can spell 'exit' without looking at that sign!" (Her latest thing has been spelling EVERYTHING because she's crazy good at it...kind of how I was at her age, before spell check destroyed my brain).

When she's done spelling "exit" while looking away from the building, I cover her eyes with my free hand and tell her to spell "enter." She does. Then, I spot a man in a bright coloured t-shirt and tell her to spell "shirt."

She quickly spells "S-H-I-T." Yes, that is what she spelled, not a typo.

Trying my absolute hardest not to burst into laughter and incur the myriad questions I know would follow my outburst, I tell her that she forgot a letter. Since she likes to try and guess before she actually thinks about how the word sounds, it took her a couple more tries before she got it right.

I drive on in relative silence until we get to the street. As I'm turning onto the cross street before my parents' street, I hear a half snort/half chuckle from the seat next to me. Then I hear "I spelled a bad word!"

I couldn't contain myself at that point, I laughed until tears were rolling down my cheeks and I was parked in front of my parents' garage. Where do kids come up with this stuff? I didn't even know that word existed until I was almost a teenager, let alone that it was a bad word.

No comments:

Post a Comment