She was an american girl, raised on promises

She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life

Somewhere else

After all, it was a great big world

With lots of places to run to

~Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers~

Friday, August 27, 2010

In Honor of a Wonderful Man

Tuesday, I received some of the most heartbreaking news I've ever heard.

Shortly after lunch, I was working on some paperwork when my cell phone rang. Since it was a friend of mine who seldom calls, I answered. Sobbing, she told me that a mutual friend of ours was dying.

Shocked, I didn't even have words to express the emotions flying through me. I remember saying "oh my gosh" a lot. Apparently, he had been rushed into surgery on Tuesday, where he coded twice before losing all brain function. He was on life support for a few hours before his mother, in accordance with his wishes, took him off the ventilator.

Rick was an amazing man. When I met him, he was angry and self destructive. We had those traits in common. We met about 2 years ago in a bar where I was meeting our mutual friend, Jessica. He was dating someone at the time, as was I, so my initial "he's kinda cute" thought never developed into anything more. I'll never forget the way he made all of us laugh that night.

Six months later, both of us single, we met again at Jessica's going away dinner. Jessica took it upon herself to "set us up" shortly thereafter. We spent a lot of time together over the couple of months after Jess left. Both of us being Aries', we tended to have a lot in common and share a lot of the same opinions. We could talk for hours about nothing. Neither of us wanted (or was ready for) a relationship, so we just stayed friends. Our friendship stayed, but communication waned a bit when he started dating again.

I'm not sure what prompted the change in him. I know he had recently lost a good friend, but, one night, we started talking about The O.C. Supertones and how fabulous their music is, and we ended talking about God and the difference He makes in peoples' lives. From that night forward, I noticed a marked and constant change in the Rick I'd once known. In fact, I found myself more attracted to him than I'd ever been.

I realized pretty quickly, though, that Rick and I were only ever meant to be friends. Brother and sister in the Lord. His was a friendship I cherished tremendously. I remember many conversations about what God was doing in Rick's life and the many struggles he faced when he started losing friends because of his faith. He was an inspiration.

The change I saw in him over the past year was amazing. God did a major work in Rick's life.

I'll miss his lunchtime texts that always managed to gross me out and destroy my appetite, I'll miss his goofy jokes about loving the Jonas Bros. and High School Musical. I'll miss the solid wisdom he always gave whenever I needed "guy advice." There are so many things to miss, and even more to celebrate.

While I mourn the loss of my friend, I know without a doubt that I will see him again someday. Rick isn't missing us a bit, he's too busy worshiping his King. He's not in pain any longer, and he's been rewarded for his faithful servitude to the Lord. While the world is a little bit darker place without him, I know I'm not the only person whose life was brightened by Rick's life.

We'll miss you, buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment